This article will show you how to use Closed Captioning (CC) and Transcription services on Events.
There are four ways to use Closed Captioning services:
Machine Closed Captioning: An automated process that adds closed captioning
- Machine Closed Captioning results in slightly lower accuracy, but will have a short turn-around time. Generally, you will receive Closed Captions within double the length of the meeting. For example, if your meeting is 2 hours, you will receive Closed Captioning within 4 hours of processing. Contact Support if the transcription is taking a couple of days.
Human Closed Captioning: A real transcriptionist will perform captioning
- Human Closed Captioning results in higher accuracy, but will have a longer turn-around time. It may take up to 4 business days to receive the Closed Captioning, depending on the length of the meeting.
- Live Closed Captioning: Use Closed Captioning on a Live Event
- No Closed Captioning Services Requested: Do not use Closed Captioning
For Machine Closed Captioning and Human Closed Captioning, there are two ways to apply Closed Captioning:
- Pre-Recorded Media: If you already have media within your event, Closed Captioning will start processing as soon as you click the Save button
- No Recorded Media: If you have not yet recorded your event, Closed Captioning will start processing as soon as you upload Media into your event
The Transcription service provides a plain text output that does not contain time-coding data. It is available to all customers with Closed Captioning services activated at no cost and with no additional processing time. Transcription files are available for download from the Public Portal media player.
- If Closed Captioning services are selected, CivicPlus automatically bills every month for any services rendered the previous month.
- Transcription is available at no additional cost for customers who use Closed Captioning services. Closed Captioning must be enabled to use transcription.
- Sign in to your solution if you have not already
- Navigate to the Events module
- Select the event tile for the event you wish to use closed captioning and/or transcription services on
- Click the View: Event Details drop-down menu and select the Event Media option from the drop-down list
- On the Event Media screen, scroll down to the Media Services section
- If Closed Captioning services are active, click the Upload/Order Media Services button
Note: If you wish to activate Closed Captioning services, you will need to select it as an Add-On option.
- Select your preferred Closed Caption and Transcription options
Closed Captions: Select your service type
Note: If Closed Captioning services are selected, CivicPlus automatically bills every month for any services rendered the previous month.
- Machine CC: An automated process that adds closed captioning
- Human CC: A real transcriptionist will perform captioning
- Live CC: Use Closed Captioning on the live event
- No CC: Do not use Closed Captioning
Transcription: Select a service option
Note: Transcription service is included in the Closed Captioning charges. There are no additional costs for transcription.
- Transcription: Use transcription on this event
- No Transcription: Do not use transcription on this event
- Closed Captions: Select your service type
- Click the Save Changes button
- Read the Warning! pop-up that appears
Note: The text that appears on the Warning! pop-up will differ depending on the type of Closed Captioning selected. For example, if Machine Closed Captioning is requested, the pop-up will display the following text: Warning! When media is added to this event, we will automatically request Machine Closed Captioning. This setting can be changed before any media is added. *Fees may apply.
- Click the Continue button on the Warning! pop-up to place the order and accept any potential fees
- The selected Closed Captioning and/or Transcription services will appear with status updates in the Media Services section
- If a media file does not already exist, the Media Services section will list the status as Requested; if a media file already exists, the status will be listed as In Progress.
- When the media services you have ordered are finished, the Media Services section will list the status as Completed.
- Once the requested media service(s) is complete, you can click the Download button to save a copy to your computer
Note: Completed Closed Captioning and Transcription services can also be accessed on the Meeting Files tab of the associated event's Event Details page in the Public Portal.
- To remove media that is no longer needed, click the Delete button to delete the media from the system if desired
Note: A Delete Closed Caption File or Delete Transcription File pop-up will appear, depending on the associated file's file type. You will need to click the Delete Closed Caption or Delete Transcription button to confirm the deletion of the file.
The terms located in this section are listed alphabetically.
- CC: Closed Captioning