As part of your implementation project, your Implementation Consultant can help you import historical meeting files (including agendas, packets, minutes, notices, and more) into your new Select Agenda and Meeting Management software. This article will explain how to prepare and send your historical files.
- Your Select Agenda and Meeting Management software allows for the import of PDF and MP4 files only.
- Each imported event can have up to five associated PDF files (Agenda, Packet, Minutes, Notices, and Other) and one Audio/Video file.
- The PDF import of your agenda packets will bring over PDF packet documents as single units. Agenda packets cannot be separated to create individual items for the packet content.
- The MP4 import will not bring over any bookmarks or timestamps that exist in another system. You may opt to manually bookmark your files once they have been imported.
- Up to 7,500 files can be processed in a single import. If you have more than 7,500 files, it will be necessary to run multiple imports.
Skip to Topics in This Article
Fill Out Your File Import Spreadsheet
During your implementation project, your Implementation Consultant will provide you with an Excel spreadsheet that maps where files should be placed within your Agenda and Meeting Management system. This spreadsheet must be completed for all imports, and its structure should not be changed. If the spreadsheet is altered in any way (e.g., columns added or deleted), the import will fail.
The spreadsheet will ask you to fill out the following information about your files:
- Event Name
- Event Date
- Event Template (this will be provided by your Implementation Consultant)
- Event Description
- Video/Audio File Name
- Agenda File Name
- Minutes File Name
- Packet File Name
- Notices File Name
- Other File Name
Please note that the file names used on the spreadsheet must match the names of the files that will be uploaded. (The instructions in Chron.com's How to Copy a List of Files in a Windows Folder Into an Excel List article may help you speed up the process). If the file name includes the .pdf extension, that should be included on the spreadsheet. If a meeting has multiple files (Agenda, Agenda Packet, Minutes, and/or Audio/Video), please list them all on the same row.
Upload Your Files
Once you have completed your import spreadsheet, you will send your files via the CivicClerk Imports File Transfer Protocol (FTP), using the username and password provided by your Implementation Consultant.
If you have not accessed an FTP site before, How-To Geek's How to Connect to FTP Servers in Windows (Without Extra Software) article may be helpful. Dedicated FTP client software (FileZilla, WinSCP, Cyberduck, etc.) can sometimes be easier.
Please note that all files should be in the FTP site's main folder. There is no need to separate your files into subfolders by date or meeting. Using spaces in file names is not recommended. However, if your file names do have spaces, make sure they match the file names used in your spreadsheet.
Review Your Imported Files
Once your files have been uploaded to the FTP site and the import spreadsheet has been filled out, please notify your Implementation Consultant. Your Implementation Consultant will:
- Access your files and process the import
- Spot-check your import once it is complete
- Release the import to you
- Assist with diagnosing and resolving errors, if necessary
After your import is complete, review your files in the system. If errors are found, you will need to verify your files against the submitted import spreadsheet. Most errors are caused by files being misplaced on the spreadsheet. Manually removing and replacing the affected files is usually the fastest remedy. Reach out to your Implementation Consultant with details on errors and any steps for resolution.